
I couldn’t help but laugh when Friedman used the example of China exporting statues and symbols of the Virgin of Guadalupe to Mexico. It is one of Mexico's claim to fame, and most of the people in the factories in China probably are not Catholic nor really care about the symbolism behind it. I would think that Mexico would produce their own, however I guess in the global world, everything is treated more like a transaction business mindset and the most efficient way wins. He uses this example to show that China is becoming a "powerhouse" of low-cost manufacturing. (As if we didn’t know this already…) He uses this chapter to open up into his discussion of the flat world and developing countries.
The first step that Friedman makes is that developing nations must know where it stands with the ten flatteners. I agree with his next step that these countries must be more involved in open and more competitive markets. This is the only tool out of poverty. If I am a poor country, I obviously will not be as prosperous as America, and cannot just randomly get there. Since my country would already be behind the game, the only way to get back into it, is to start deciding what I do best, and then trade that with other countries who will need my competitive advantages. I guess I just tied my idea back into that whole free trade theory. I agree with his statement that countries whose cultures undermine the woman in the work place do put it at a competitive disadvantage in the truly existing global world. While men and women do work/relate differently in the workforce at times, it is a good thing because the more diversity, the better. If you have a country that is male dominated in the workforce, then those males may not know everything that is needed to tap fully into other markets. Friedman later provided a comparison between Mexico and China demonstrating why Mexico is behind China. It was a really good eye-opener. Like Erica, I wondered why we were always exporting from China, when we could be from Mexico which is closer to us. Now I better understand it.
1 comment:
It's interesting how countries are so different from each other. Each one has its own strengths and weaknesses. Growing up, I've always heard "America is the best country". I believe it too. However, this book makes me question whether or not that's really true ... and especially whether or not it will be true in the future. It's amazing how far some countries have recently advanced and how they now have the potential to pass us!
Post a Comment