Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ch 6: Untouchables: Finding New Middle


This chapter Friedman does a great job calling to everyone’s attention the need and importance of education to get ahead in this world. Friedman says there is no such thing as an American job anymore. This opened my eyes, because I used to think of some jobs as just this. Times are changing in this new global world, and as we have already begun to see the effects of outsourcing, many jobs will go to the best, smartest, and cheapest worker. As an individual, you want to make yourself an “untouchable,” meaning that you are so valuable at your job, that your work ethic cannot be duplicated by outsourcing. This is kind talk of caste systems kind of made me think of the Sex and the City episode discussing the caste systems and if they really do still exist. That episode basically said they do in a way, and Friedman backs up this statement, however from a different point of view. (Just a random fact for you all.)

Some of the things Friedman suggested to be in the untouchable category were pretty beneficial. One of these skills we are developing in the MBA program which is knowing how to work with others. Since practically half of what we do is group work, we are pretty used to this already. He also mentioned that we need to know how to speak to others, explain (something I need to improve upon,) and inspire. These skills are very crucial. At my internship I have been working on an employee survey and focus groups. Going over the results of the focus group, I spoke to my manager about some employees complaining about not being promoted when they are just as competent at the job and know more than some of the outsiders being brought in to fill vacant positions. My supervisor pointed out that while they may possess the knowledge, these certain employees do not know how to lead a group or have the correct people skills to manage a team effectively. The fact that we as MBAs develop these characteristics is very important if we are wishing to advance in our careers and keep our jobs.

Another thing Friedman suggested that I felt was important, is that no matter what you do, be amazing at what you do. I was speaking to Amanda’s dad when he came in town once and he mentioned that it is good to be so good at your job that you are irreplaceable.

2 comments:

aleX said...

Hey Liz. I agree with your opinion on Chapter 6. I think getting a MBA for us will help all of us reach that Untouchable status.

Doug said...

Liz, I agree with you point generally, but in a organizational hierarchy like those at most larger companies, it behooves you to be replaceable if you want to move up and ahead to more advanced and different responsibilities. If a person has the potential to be the CFO but is year-after-year the company’s best accounts receivable clerk (or any lower level position) the company will keep that person stagnant since he is performing so well. I’ve found a good strategy is to do an excellent job, spend time grooming an underling to eventually take your job, take on additional responsibilities in the area where you want to advance, and then when the opportunity is right, seize the better position. The company will be more supportive if you have already contributed to finding your replacement.