
Just when Friedman is getting me to fully believe that the world is indeed flat, he throws a curveball and admits that it is not yet. So I guess my original idea was right. Well- at least for now… He gives three scenarios for why the world will remain unflattend for some people. The first one is those that are “too sick.” Places that are largely infected with diseases, according to Friedman, are so because the people are too poor to have funds to cure it, or people are uneducated about how it’s spread. This is very sad and I believe it is our duty as member in the flat world, to educated fully those impoverished people and keep them safe and “in the know.” He mentions that these people will not compete in the flat world. While this is probably true, (and unfortunate) why the heck did he call the book the world is flat?! Because clearly, it is not. Not everyone is competing.
He also goes on about listing two other excluded people that will not be able to compete in the “flat world.” Those that are too disempowered, those that basically do not have the tools or skills to participate but know what’s up. The other group are the ones that are “too frustrated” involving terrorists. He also mentions five forces that drove antiglobalization movements, lead by the antiglobalization people. Which to me sounds like a bunch of modern day hippies. I guess every generation has its share of hippies… By this point in the book I just want to throw it into the dumpster because now I feel he is just yapping away trying to talk to us as much as he can, so I will conclude this blog right now.
1 comment:
I was ready to trash my book too! He persuadesme for a couple of hundred pages and then throws this at me. The book probably could have ended here for me!
Post a Comment